Incontinence of urine on cough: causes and methods of treatment
Urinary incontinence with a strong cough todayis seen by doctors as a separate disease. A lot of research has been done on this topic in clinical practice. The results of most of them show that about 30% of women suffer from the presented illness. The lion's share of such cases is accounted for by elderly and pregnant women. Details of why there is incontinence of urine on coughing, let's talk further in the article.
Degrees of urinary incontinence
Based on the amount of excreted urine, there are several degrees of pathology:
- Light - only a few drops of urine are seen at a time with increasing intra-abdominal pressure under the influence of coughing, laughing, sneezing.
- Average - quite a perceptible amount of bodily fluid is released not only when coughing, but also with calm walking, minor physical exertion.
- Severe - uncontrolled excretion of the abundance of urine with coughing, sneezing, laughing, physical exertion, other spasms that put pressure on the organs of the genitourinary sphere.
Incontinence of urine when coughing in women: causes
In most cases, the main reason for thisphenomenon becomes a violation of the functions of the sphincter, which is responsible for the retention of fluid in the bladder. This also leads to an age-related decrease in the length of the urethra. Among other reasons for the development of the disease is worth noting:
- individual excessive activity of the bladder;
- the appearance of pathological neoplasms in the tissues of the urogenital organs;
- chronic inflammation of the bladder;
- omission of the uterus and the walls of the vagina;
- prolonged or rapid delivery;
- complicated endourethral or gynecological operations;
- mechanical injuries of the perineal region;
- excessive physical activity.
Incontinence in the postpartum period
It is worth noting that urinary incontinenceCoughing in men is much less common than in women. Representatives of the stronger sex suffer from such a deviation only with chronic ailments of the prostate gland, in particular when it increases.
In women, incontinence during coughing is most oftenIt occurs as a result of weakening of the muscles in the pelvic floor after delivery. Often, the deviation is manifested after the disruption of the walls of the genital organs. To eliminate the phenomenon in this case, you can not do without special therapy aimed at strengthening the muscular tissues of the pelvic floor. Results after specific exercises become noticeable after a few months.
Incontinence of urine when coughing in women as a consequence of the development of cystitis
If incontinence in the course of a cough accompanied by sharp pain in the groin area, most likely, the cause is cystitis. Often, only a few drops of urine are released.
Cystitis is a disease, to the development of whichlead inflammation in the bladder. This can be caused by infections, the formation of kidney stones, irritation of the mucous membranes with sand that comes out of the kidneys, and also by hypothermia. If this ailment develops, not only urinary incontinence can be observed, but also with the slightest physical exertion.
Involuntary urination in women with menopause
As practice shows, such unpleasantphenomena like menopause and menopause, show themselves to the age of 50 years. During this period, the female genitourinary system undergoes significant hormonal changes. This causes a weakening of the muscle mass in the pelvic floor and, as a consequence, incontinence during coughing.
Stress involuntary urination during the periodMenopause, according to statistics, is observed in 60% of women. Accompanying the unpleasant phenomenon of burning and dryness in the vagina. The result of such discomfort manifestations is an increase in the overall nervous excitability.
Urinary incontinence in elderly women
General decrease in muscle tone andsclerotic manifestations lead to the onset of involuntary urination in elderly women. When the body ages, the pelvic floor muscles descend, the sphincter weakens. Along with numerous problems of neurological properties, it causes incontinence when coughing and sneezing.
Older women do not see the reasons for a regularvisits to a gynecologist. This behavior leads to the fact that the tumors that arise in the tissues of the urogenital organs reach a large size. With sudden contraction of the muscles during coughing, sneezing or laughing, inflamed tissues pressurize the bladder. This, in fact, leads to involuntary urination in elderly people.
What factors increase the risk of developing the disease?
Form such a phenomenon as involuntary urination when coughing, can against the background:
- abuse of alcohol and tobacco products;
- neurological diseases;
- development of tumors in the region of the spinal cord.
Non-surgical methods of treatment
How to eliminate urinary incontinence in women with cough? Treatment is primarily aimed at identifying the root cause. Therefore, an extremely important point on the way to recovery is an immediate examination from a qualified doctor.
If urine incontinence is a cough, what should I do? Today to eliminate this pathology resort to the following methods:
- Magnetic stimulation of the urogenital organs - helps to strengthen the muscle tissue in the pelvic area.
- Hormone therapy - is given to patients who suffer from involuntary urination of urine during the menopause, as well as in the elderly and senile.
- Special gymnastics is a complex of exercises aimed at strengthening the muscles of the perineum. In most cases, it is prescribed to patients in combination with drug therapy.
- Pharmaceutical products - prescribed in cases where involuntary urination in women occurs against the background of developing infections that affect the urogenital sphere.
Surgical elimination of pathology
Surgical intervention is used in extremecases. It is prescribed by doctors, if the physiological procedures and taking medications for a long time do not allow to eliminate incontinence during coughing. Most often, operations are performed in order to remove pathological neoplasms, which, in fact, lead to involuntary urination. In some cases, surgical intervention is used to strengthen the sphincter and the walls of the bladder.
To eliminate incontinence during coughing, sometimescarry out the so-called sling operations. During the last surgeon, a special loop is created in the urethra that holds the sphincter and prevents involuntary urination with sudden, unexpected pressure on the pelvic muscles. It is this operation that is considered to be the most effective in pathologies of the character presented.
If the bladder of a woman is filled only slightly, but there is a regular urge to emptying it, an operation is performed that makes it possible to remove the contraction of tissues.
In recent years, the bulk of qualifiedmedical specialists are inclined to believe that surgical intervention is the most effective way of eliminating urinary incontinence when coughing. However, if the patient is diagnosed with "bladder hyperactivity," it is strictly forbidden to resort to surgery.
To reduce the discomfort associated with involuntary urination during a cough, you can resort to the following tips:
- Do not hesitate to contact a doctor if a phenomenon is found. Clearly follow all the prescriptions of the specialist.
- Get rid of bad habits, such as smokingand drinking alcohol. Abuse of products of this nature leads to an increase in intra-abdominal pressure. This, in turn, can be one of the reasons for urinary incontinence when coughing.
- As practice shows, there is a direct linkbetween involuntary urination and the presence of excess weight. Therefore, obese people who suffer from urinary incontinence, it is recommended to lose a few pounds and evaluate the result.
- Carbonated and refreshing drinks are known for theirdiuretic action. Patients who suffer from involuntary urination during coughing, sneezing or laughing, it is worthwhile to exclude such foods from the diet.
- If the pathology is in a difficult stagedevelopment, it is recommended to use special urological pads. The use of the latter will not only solve the problem of excessive moisture, but also eliminate unpleasant odors.
- People who suffer from urinary incontinencecough, you should wear loose clothing. This makes it possible to reduce pressure on the organs of the genitourinary sphere with involuntary muscle contraction in this area.
So we examined the main causes of incontinenceurine when coughing, as well as methods to combat such an unpleasant pathological phenomenon. Finally, it should be noted that in cases where the disease is developed in mild or moderate degree, it is better to resort to therapy with the use of physiotherapy exercises or local medicine. These methods are not traumatic for the body. Therefore, with complex application can be extremely effective at the initial stages of the formation of the disease. If there are no positive results, or if the disease worsens, it is necessary to undergo a second examination to identify changes, and only after thinking about the surgical intervention.